Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Adventure

Ok, so this may take some popcorn...and some napkins...and maybe a drink...Are you all settled down to watch an action packed thriller?

Not me, I just had to remember my blogging username and password so I decided popcorn was an order. Long time no see (or hear, if you prefer). What's been happening? Any new adventures? Did you save the world while I was gone? Any new beings discovered? Any new arch rivals I should be concerned about?

No adventures, you say? Couldn't be. Adventure awaits around every corner! Adventure is every tree stump just waiting to be jumped from. It is the backyard jungle, waiting to be explored. It is the uncharted creek calling you to keep walking. It is the story book. It is the pool filled with giant human fish. It is the dark room shined bright only by a flashlight. It is the butterfly that just can't seem to be caught. It is the sand, molded into a castle wall which holds the entire ocean at bay. It is the quiet time that seems to bend our imagination. These are true adventures.The world is unlimited in its possibilities. These are my kids. This are your kids. These adventures are our children.

At what age does the our world cease to be amazing? Do you remember when you turned the corner and there was no adventure waiting for you? Or did your adventures fade out gradually? Why is it so hard to hold onto these awesome feelings? Are we too old? Too educated? Too busy? Too comfortable? Too tired? Too unimaginative to have an adventure?

My already too grown up seven year old loves adventure. His books are saturated with it. His mind is bent around it. There is a mystery waiting to be solved at every transition. My almost four year old tugs at adventure. She dares herself to jump from a higher stair than last time. She holds her breath for a few seconds longer each time she dunks her head in the pool. It is enticing. It must feel glorious and a bit scary all at the same time.

These feelings get buried in some of us. Each moment that passes there is less and less adventure. We grow up. This is somehow okay with all of us. We can watch a movie.

I wonder what it would look like though if we treated each new morning as an adventure. Each new moment as a possible ninja battle attack or a high jumping contest. Our glorious earth and all it surroundings should be our palette and our paintings should turn out to be works of art, mesmerizing, action packed, totally awesome, fun adventures. Our kids would love us for it!

So, go have an adventure...right now...today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - great writing. I'm in Houston and will be meeting new people within the hour that I want to impress with my company's values and offerings. You helped me see it as an adventure! I can be a ninja warrior , adventurer or stair-jumper everyday1 Thanks for opening my eyes! Hiyaaaaaaaaa! Dad

    ReplyDelete